Monday 14 August 2017

Remembering The Little Things

I like to remember the little things in life. Those tiny pockets of happiness that just brighten my day that little bit more. Being a huge pessimist (and quite morbid honestly), I tend to focus on the doom and gloom in life, so finding small things to smile about is part of my self-care. I never used to pay attention to how happy these things made me feel. Now I try to remind myself that it really is the small things that count, and use every one as an excuse to smile and feel a bit better about everything.

I've been working on this list for well over a year. It's taken that long because I don't want to just put any old thing onto the list. It's for things that really cheer me up in the simplest of ways. Maybe someday there will be a part two, but I wouldn't hold your breath for that. Small pleasures are hard to identify because they're things we usually just take for granted.

  • Waking myself up by laughing in my sleep
  • The first drop on a rollercoaster
  • Lying in bed at night, listening to the rain
  • The first sips of a cold, fizzy drink
  • Getting into pyjamas at the end of a long day
  • Walking in the middle of the night when no one's around
  • Cold cider on a hot day
  • The feeling of 'slipping away' just before falling asleep
  • Sweet tea
  • Forgetting the world while reading a book
  • The smell after rain
  • Long walks
  • When someone in a film says the title
  • Perfect golden toast with butter melted into it
  • Afternoon naps
  • Crunching ice cubes
  • Laughing fits that go on for ages
  • Comfortable silences
  • When people compliment my baking
  • The feeling after finishing a really good book
  • Buying stationery
  • Spontaneous trips and adventures
  • The smell of the air by the sea
  • Looking at old photos
  • Drinking ice-cold water after exercising
  • Pens that write really nicely
  • Singing really loudly when no one's home
  • The smell of books
  • Remembering a song I haven't heard in years and listening to it again
  • Having a hot drink after coming in from the cold
  • Learning a new word
  • Campfires
  • Autumn
  • When old people say good morning to me
  • Train/plane journeys
  • Picking up/cuddling/petting animals
  • The sound of the sea
  • Candlelight
  • The smell of strawberries
  • Soda floats
  • Walking in the middle of nowhere
  • Communal laughter in public places
  • Inside jokes
  • Spotting wild animals
  • Smiles from strangers
  • Free food
  • Long drives
  • Birdsong
  • Making people laugh
  • A bright blue sky with no clouds (or a few fluffy, white clouds)
  • Walking barefoot in the grass
  • Finishing a to do list
  • Wild flowers
  • Running through untouched snow
  • Having a really nice, big stretch when I wake up
  • Boozy picnics
  • The smell of freshly-cut grass
  • Family barbecues on hot days
  • The anticipation of seeing a loved one
  • When my food arrives at a restaurant
  • Going out for lunch/dinner
  • Fruity cocktails
  • Rainbows
  • Having my hair styled by someone else
  • When a package arrives in the post
  • Being pleasantly tipsy
  • Duvet days
  • Random acts of kindness
  • The satisfied tiredness after completing something
  • When a vending machine drops two items at once
Tell me what your 'little things' are! What makes you happy or gives you a little pep in an otherwise bad day? Maybe you also enjoy some of the things on my list - what are they? I would love to hear from you - hey, maybe I'll get more ideas for my list! Please comment below and tell me all of your favourite little things.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always trying to work on remembering the little things as well, so this was a lovely post to read! xx

    rhymeandribbons.com

    ReplyDelete

Please note that comment moderation is on, so don't be alarmed if yours doesn't show up right away ♥