Wednesday 3 September 2014

London & Kate Bush

 
Yesterday, Caz and I went to the bus station to get the coach to London, for the long-awaited Kate Bush gig! As you can probably imagine, we were ridiculously excited because Kate Bush is our queen. Here's a little selfie of us on the coach:


The gig was in Hammersmith, so we had to travel through some of the poshest areas of London in order to get to the venue. On the Tube, we saw a man eating an entire cucumber, and that was pretty much it for us; we were sitting there honking with laughter in a Tube carriage full of posh folk in expensive business wear. 

I was reduced to hysterics again in Hammersmith, when Caz said, "Omg look, it's Ian McKellen!" - I turned around to see a fabulous old man in a t-shirt and pink shorts. Honestly, it was the best analogy ever. We were massive pigs in the Broadway shopping centre, eating McDonalds and cookies and pretzels, but it was so worth it. Also it costed 50p to get into the toilets. Spend a penny, my ass.
We had fun in the queue for the gig, because there were so many people around that our lookalike game got somewhat out of hand. We had Jeff Bridges, Jared Leto, Raúl Esparza, Vivienne Westwood, Liza Minelli and miscellaneous characters like my personal favourite, Foreign Doctor (then he looked at his phone and left rather urgently, so he became Foreign Doctor On Call). The blokes behind us also thought they were dead subtle when they inched closer and closer to us, eventually overtaking us like the rotten queue-jumpers they were.

We all have assigned seats m8, no need to push in.
Finally, after about twenty years of waiting, we were allowed into the venue. There was a mad dash for the merch table, so I left Caz to it because I'm an awful friend and I needed whiskey. However, I did at least buy Caz a drink to have while she was waiting in the utter madness. When she'd gotten her t-shirt we adjourned up to the circle for the show. Now, our tickets told us we were basically at the back so we were sure we'd only see a Kate Bush-shaped dot on the stage miles away from us, but the venue is actually smaller than we'd anticipated. So my view was something like this:



We could see pretty well (except for some guy's head being in my way for most of it, causing me to sit on an angle for most of the show and develop a numb butt cheek). The gig itself was phenomenal. Kate Bush has such an amazing voice, even to this day, and she had the whole room spellbound for the whole show. I am going to be writing a review so I won't go into masses of detail, but it was so bloody good, and her son's performance in it was really great as well. It was more like theatre than a concert, and it was magical. She was perfect, and I especially loved that she came out on stage with no shoes on.

Even though getting back home was a nightmare (our bus was at midnight, but it was delayed until 00:30), we were so happy to have seen Kate Bush, especially after how quickly the tickets sold out, and the fact that she may never tour again. I'm still buzzing from how good it was, and I feel so lucky to have had this chance. A massive, massive thank you to Caz for getting the tickets for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comment moderation is on, so don't be alarmed if yours doesn't show up right away ♥