Tuesday 1 January 2019

HAPPY NEW YEAR! ~ 2019 Goals

We're almost two decades into the 21st century, which is both awesome and horrifying. As we all do every New Year, without fail, I've been thinking about the goals I want to aim for in 2019. I've tried to be a bit more realistic than I have been in past years, so hopefully I'll have a lot more success. We'll see.

Get back into (paid) work

This is the big one for 2019. I'm at a point in my recovery where I feel like I can handle getting back to employment. I usually put ‘career’ for this one, but I feel that’s a big ask to go from technically-unemployed to a Real Career in a year. For now, I just want to get back into work doing something I don’t entirely hate and earning real money.

Reach ‘healthy’ BMI (and/or drop 2 dress sizes)

I’m aware that weight loss might not be very significant, as I’ve been going to the gym and building muscle, so I’ve also added dropping dress sizes to this goal. Regardless of weight, my body is changing shape the more exercise I get, and I think that’s how I’m going to gauge my success more than actual weight. Having said that, I do want to reach a healthy BMI as I’ll feel better in myself for it. Mostly I want to be stronger/fitter and increase my self esteem.

Get a tattoo

I have so many ideas, and no clue which one to pick first, but I will keep putting this on my goals list until I do it.

Go to the gym 3 times a week

In June 2018, I started going to the gym (having never set foot in one in my life before that). I was going twice a week where I could manage it. This year I want to step it up to three gym sessions a week, whether that's my general workout or a class. I am also thinking up a mini workout to do at home when I'm not in the gym. When the weather clears, I'll get back to doing my hikes. And of course I'll keep doing the little things like walking wherever and whenever practical, taking stairs instead of lifts, etc.

Save money as much as possible

I’ve learned that I’m actually better at saving money than I thought, so I want to continue the good habit of putting away as much money as I can spare each month. Obviously at the moment, that's not a huge amount but I hope when I get back into work I'll have the opportunity to put a lot more into savings. Then I can use it for things like travel, having my hair done, saving up to move out. All the nice things.

Blog more

In my 2018 goals recap, I mentioned that I’d been trying to draft/brain dump ideas for posts. I hope that’ll be helpful towards this goal. I do love blogging, I just feel that I’ve had nothing to write about. I think I need to write more for myself again to get back into the swing of it and actually enjoy myself.

Continue volunteering

While I’m still ‘time rich’ (my dad’s phrase), I want to carry on volunteering. It's really good for my mental health as it gets me out of the house and keeps me busy. It plugs what could have been a huge employment gap, as well as giving me lots of new experiences and skills to add to my CV. Also, I'm attached to my organisation and my fabulous colleagues now, and want to be there for as long as I possibly can.

Read at least 15 books

I've smashed this goal two years running, so I’ve increased it a bit from my usual 12. I’m loath to increase it more in case I end up being a lot busier this year (I hope so).

Do my Yearly Purge and Laptop Tidy

An annual tradition now. I want to keep up with it because I'm naturally quite untidy, so doing my big clean in the spring keeps me organised and my spaces tidy and pleasant to be in. I also need to sort out my laptop files as they're a mess.

Go on more trips

Local or national, I want to see more of England/Britain. We have so much to explore and see on our little island and while I have less money to go abroad, I think I need to focus on smaller, more reasonable trips. I'll feel so much better for it – I stagnate when I'm stuck in one place all the time.

Go abroad

I really want to do a ‘big’ trip this year, outside of the country. I miss the thrill of travelling, meeting new people, different cultures and cuisine. I may make a rough cost estimate and save toward that as much as I can. I'm at my happiest when I'm travelling so this is always a positive goal for me to strive for.

Continue to track habits etc

I've said it once and I'll say it again - tracking things in a visual way has been so helpful and enlightening for me. It's good to be able to quantify how well/badly I'm doing, look for patterns, and keep on top of my life. At the moment, I'm tracking:
  • Habits (I currently do: waking up at my alarm, hygiene, hydration, exercise, tidying up, to do list, German practice, Swedish practice, reading, no naps, no alcohol, no money spent, no takeaways, take meds, and bed by 11pm)
  • Mood/fatigue/pain levels
  • Depression levels (using the PHQ9 as a guide)
  • Spending logs (monthly, to keep an eye on expenses)
  • Savings
  • Weight loss/body measurements
This year I have a general 'rough' weekly diary to scribble everything into, but I'm also creating a bullet journal-style book for all of my tracking. Having it all in one place makes more sense and will make it easier for me to see it all 'at a glance'. I may even make a post showing some of my journal if I'm pleased with how it turns out.

Finish travel scrapbook

I swear this just needs to get out of my life now. I'm getting on for five years since I tried to start this project, enough is enough. I need to get it updated this year so I stop feeling guilty about all my travel bits and bobs just sitting in a bag instead of being presented in the book.

~

I think that's enough to be going on with! What are your goals for 2019? I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comment moderation is on, so don't be alarmed if yours doesn't show up right away ♥