Sunday 14 February 2016

Berlin - Museums, Mostly

08:30, The Circus Hostel

I ended up going to bed quite early last night; I was really dehydrated and my head was killing me. I'm now kicking myself because I found out that Sou's coworkers (whom I met yesterday evening) put aside a ticket and a free drinks wristband for me to use at the party they were at last night. Also found out that the coworkers said I was really cute - awww!

Anyway, I've just woken up and I feel much better now that I've had a good nights sleep (even though it took me a while to drift off because of the loud Americans being really inconsiderate again).

21:23, The Circus Hostel

Weather was pretty bleak today, very grey and drizzly and cold. I powered through though because I had a lot to see! I started the day in my hostel cafe (Katz & Maus) having a 'Berliner' breakfast - basically cold meats and cheeses and bread rolls. Delicious!


My first port of call was Checkpoint Charlie, the U.S. crossing point between east and west Berlin that was established during the Cold War. Obviously it's not a real checkpoint any more, since the Wall came down, but it remains as a point of historical interest. I was quite amused by the fact that they were selling replica Soviet army hats and gas masks and stuff. I didn't dare look at the prices, though I was really tempted to get Liam a Soviet officer's cap.


I then attempted to go to a place called Kraftwerk, which is a gallery/art exhibit space inside an old disused factory. I found the factory, but I couldn't find how to get through the gates, which was annoying. I then realised that I was in what looked like a really rough area which was.. Discomforting. Also, the inside of my nostrils was stinging from the cold at this point.

I figured out that I could walk to the East Side Gallery from where I was. The walk was interesting - there were broken windows and graffiti everywhere (as well as what looked like a shanty town with houses made from corrugated iron and bits of board). But I still didn't feel really unsafe, which was weird. The area seemed rough, but it was mostly deserted and pretty interesting to look at.


The gallery was fascinating. It's literally just legal graffiti and murals on a big remaining section of the Berlin Wall. It has a lot of character and is very interesting and colourful.



I had some time before I was due at the Neues Museum, so I went over to the Ramones museum. That was SO cool. I can't believe how much information and memorabilia they've managed to fit into a fairly small space. They must've gotten so many donations from people because there were tonnes of gig posters, tour itineraries, ticket stubs (including VIP/all-access passes), news articles, photographs, and badges. Not to mention all of the signed stuff, guitars, pieces of clothing, and Joey Ramone's entire home entertainment system! They had live Ramones recordings playing too, which just added to the brilliance. Any Ramones fan in Berlin should make a stop here (it's only 3,50€ to get in!).



 At around 2pm, I made my way over to the Neues Museum, and saw the incredible Berlin Cathedral on the way there. I decided not to go in as I had a Slipknot shirt on and it was Sunday - it seemed a bit tasteless. I would like to explore the crypt in there next time I go to Berlin though!


The museum has a huge Ancient Egypt collection. I enjoyed wandering through the rooms and seeing everything. But the very best bit was the bust of Nefertiti. No cameras were allowed in the room where it was, which was a shame, but it was still breathtaking. There was a reverent hush in the room as people stood and just stared. It was hard to take your eyes off of the bust - it was so captivating and so sublimely beautiful. Her eyes seemed to pierce yours when you look at her face. Amazing! I got some postcards and a little statue of Anubis at the gift shop.





I met Sou again this afternoon and we spent nearly 4 hours walking and talking. I was teaching her some British slang and she taught me how to say cunt in German, which of course is the only German I will ever need. We also talked about August Diehl and Alexander Fehling and how much we hate (love) them. She has also now gotten me into ugly GDR architecture - it's so remarkably hideous, and I love it very much. An example of it is this wonderful fountain that she showed me:


as well as the Weltzeituhr (world clock):


By the time I got back here, my feet and legs were killing me and I was about ready to collapse. I really enjoyed myself though - Sou is so fun to talk to, and we had such a laugh. I've also realised that we haven't yet had a selfie together! Hopefully we'll have time to rectify that before I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comment moderation is on, so don't be alarmed if yours doesn't show up right away ♥