Monday 25 August 2014

NYC: Museums

I started today at the American Museum of Natural History. I was in my element, as I walked straight into the space section, and space is one of my favourite things ever. I went to a show in the planetarium; a great big dome-shaped screen was on the ceiling and the show was about dark matter in the universe. It was so interesting and caused a massive existential crisis for everyone in the room. The 3D effect of the screen above us like the sky was amazing, it felt like we were actually cast into the cosmos. Also, they had a meteorite hall, which is exactly how it sounds - I promptly lost my mind.

Another highlight for me was the main hall, where they had two massive dinosaur skeletons. As a child, I was obsessed with Jurassic Park and wanted to be a palaeontologist, and I still get excited over old bones, dinosaur or otherwise. This museum had an abundance of bones, so I was very happy about this. Unfortunately I didn't get to see all of the museum because it's bloody huge, and I wanted to visit the Metropolitan (and have a walk through Central Park), so I couldn't spend too much time there.






Central Park was next, as I had to walk through it to get over to the Metropolitan. I didn't really stop, but I got to stroll through the Shakespeare Garden and see Belvedere Castle! It was a genuinely chilled out walk in the sunshine, and I really enjoyed just taking my time and looking at the scenery.




After that pleasant interlude, I was back in the bustle of upper 5th and outside the Metropolitan Museum of Art!


I was immediately enamoured with this museum because they had a huge section on ancient Egyptian art! I spent about 80% of my time at the museum in that section, because it was all so interesting and so beautiful! There was also apparently some ancient Sumerian art somewhere, but I couldn't find it - this was crap because if there's anything I love more than ancient Egypt (if possible), it's the Sumerians. But I got to see plenty of Egyptian art, including a few cheeky statues of Anubis, my favourite person ever. So I was happy.


So, this entire tomb was donated to the museum from Egypt.
This has been a bit of a lazy blog, but how much can you really write about walking around museums and parks? They're so much better to go and experience yourself, being told about them doesn't come close to describing it. I've had a really nice day, and I'm feeling sad that my time in New York is close to ending. I don't really have any plans for tomorrow, as I need to sort all of my things out to go home (I'm meeting Starry and Smiley at their hostel in Queens early on Wednesday, so we can all go to JFK together). I will wander down to 5th one last time, and get some souvenirs for my family. It's been a blast, and I'm sad to go, but I am looking forward to being back home after two months away!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comment moderation is on, so don't be alarmed if yours doesn't show up right away ♥