Friday 22 August 2014

NYC: Tall Buildings

I had a slow start today. I chastised myself a little, which is annoying - I've had to keep reminding myself that I'm on holiday now. The first thing I did was wander down to the Rockefeller Centre, where I bought a CityPass (I would honestly recommend getting one if you're in NYC, it saves so much money and hassle!) and got a ticket for the next available trip to the Top of the Rock. On my way up, I had a photo taken on the girder:


The view from the top was stunning. I stood up there for a long while, looking out at Central Park and the Empire State Building. It wasn't ridiculously packed either, so I got  a good look from all angles. It was also interesting because I'd never been on such a tall building before; you really don't get an idea of the height until you're there.



When I came down, I explored a little bit. I went to the Lego store, which was ridiculously cool because (obviously) there was Lego everywhere. There was this ridiculously tall thing with bubbles, and each bubble contained a type of Lego brick; you could fill a bag with them like pick'n'mix sweets, and it was so cool. I also went down to Nintendo World, which was just as cool as it sounds. Upstairs, they had a mini exhibition on all of the consoles that Nintendo have developed; it was so great to look at all of it, and I was quietly laughing to myself when a kid was pointing out the original Game Boy and talking about how strange and old it was. I told him that I still own mine, and he looked astounded that anyone could be so ancient.

Next, I went up to the 86th floor of the Empire State Building for another breathtaking view of New York. While I was queuing inside, waiting to get to the elevators, someone said to me, "Just so you know, it's a thirty minute wait!" I was like, "Mate, I'm English. I know how to queue." When I got up there, it was a lot more crowded than Top of the Rock was, so I didn't get as much of a chance to look around. I did, however, get an amazing panorama photo.


So I had a really fab day taking in the sights, and standing on some really bloody tall buildings. Tomorrow evening, I am going to see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway and I am dead excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comment moderation is on, so don't be alarmed if yours doesn't show up right away ♥